Thursday, January 17, 2008

16th Jan 2008
Second day of work! Felt better today compared to yesterday because I am used to my environment already. There were no sales today but it's okay! I have many other days to bring up the sales! *smiles* Haha I worked from 5.30pm-9.30-pm today and by the time I got home, it was 10.30pm. I'm so thankful for my dad who came to pick me up last night and tonight!



You know how we frequently patronise Takashimaya, see it as just another shopping mall and spare little thought about it after that? Well, having worked in Taka for the past 2 days, I can give you insights about how it's really like in terms of their operation and all.
  1. Every employee have to pass through the security checkpoint before entering the building through another entrance that'll lead him/her to level B1.
  2. There, you'll enter a staff office(not like some high class place okay. lol). Here, you'll deposit your bag but you can bring along your valuables.
  3. After depositing your bag, you have to punch in your arrival time. There's this big board with many punchcard. You have to find your own punchcard,walk over to the machine to punch your card. You must be careful as to where you're punching. There are 6 buttons altogether(in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out). The first 'in' is when you arrive for a morning shift, second 'in' when you come in after noon. The first and second 'out' is when you go for your break(lunch & dinner respectively). The last 'out' is when you end work for the day.
  4. After punching your card, you leave through another door that'll lead you to the main shopping mall(B1). Since I work in level 1, I'll take the escalator to level 1!
  5. Start work
  6. If you need to go to the toilet, remember to inform someone next to you so that they can look after the counter for you; not to look out for thieves but to inform customers that the promoter will be back shortly. =)
  7. If it's time for your break, inform somebody again and go down to B1 to punch 'out'. Upon returning, punch 'in' again. That means if you punch the first 'in'(morning shift), you'll punch 'out' which is the second button when you leave for break. When you return, you'll punch the third button that says 'in'(noon). Get it? So if you came in after noon, you'll just follow the same procedure, button by button.
  8. 9.30pm: A bell will ring signifying the end of the day. Everybody will RUSH down to B1(staff office). Really rush I must stress. Haha!
  9. There, we have to pass through security checkpoint where they'll check our little bags containing out valuables.
  10. Inside, it's a mad rush to leave so the room where our bags are kept will be packed, the punchcard area will also be packed. People will jostle and push in order to get their card punch first so as to leave the building asap.
  11. After everything is done at B1, you'll take the stairs up and pass through another security checkpoint(the same on as when you entered) and off you go!

I must say that working as a promoter is not easy. You have to stand(can sit also) most of the time, present a smile and ready to promote. It can get very mundane especially when you have no customers and no sales. Being new to this with no prior training, I hoped I had no customers on the firday day because I was afraid I wouldn't know how to answer their questions but the Lord is good, He gave me understanding and I sold 2 products on my first day. Come second day I was more prepared(I did my homework at home!) and so I hoped for sales! Sadly, there weren't any. No worries! I'm expecting more sales to come for as long as it's my shift! Haha!

Talking about shifts, there are three shifts. 9.30am-1.30pm(Morning), 1.30pm-5.30pm(Afternoon), 5.30pm-9.30pm(Evening). For the first day, I worked two shifts, 1.30pm-9.30pm. And tomorrow I'll be working from 2pm-10pm. Random working hours and working days. Actually I would be getting most night shifts considering how the permanent staff want their night off if you get what I mean?

I'm praying hard I don't have to work on sundays. Please, no sundays! Pray along with me! Thanks! =)

No comments: