Saturday, December 27, 2008

Purity Camp 2008 @ Nacli

Day 1
Arrived in church only to find that our group is so small as compared to some groups which were large in numbers (because the rest are in woodlands)-Esther, Ben and Matthew. We introduced ourselves, talked and brainstormed for group cheer because Greg wanted to hear some cheers. We (people of Blackout) had no cheer yet! Even though it was early in the morning, I pulled myself together to be more lively and to bring some excitement to the group. I don't know what's with me and Queens but I like to come up a cheer cum rap from the tune of 'We will rock you'. And so I thought and thought and within 20 minutes or so...

Have you heard about the group called - Blackout
They've come to conquer to - Step out
You wonder what makes them - Stand out
It's the grace of God that - Flows out!

And not forgetting the cheer that not many can catch especially at the last part. *chuckles*

B-L-A-C-K, blackout is what we say
O-U-T you say, blackout is what we say
I say, you say, we say (x3)
ohhhhh.....BLACKOUT!


Arriving at Nacli, we met up with the remaining members of our group and team bonding started with ice-breakers and games. We played three kingdoms. I heard about it but have never seen it being played or played it myself. One word: PAINFUL. Haha I was the lighter and so I don't move much but my fingers did. An hour plus into the game my fingers were bruised from using the lighter. But all in all it was a good time of laughs, screams (i'm so guilty of it!) and fun.

Day 2
For devotion we talked about modesty in dressing. I never really buy all that was said before about how we should be dressing in church and was irritated that there are so many restrictions such as no spaghetti tops unless accompanied with a cardigan, no skirts that are above the knee, no slippers, etc. But I guess these should be seen as healthy guidelines in dressing not only for the benefit of out brothers but for ourselves also that we do not invite unwanted attention to ourselves or even robbing attention away that is due to God.

The games we played were teambuilding games and like any teambuilding game, it can get pretty frustrating. Hahaha! Thankfully my group was able to complete most of it well. =)

Day 3
I thank God for enabling me to sing and lead worship this day even though I have been coughing for I don't know since when. It's so amazing that when I held the mike and started singing, the coughing and discomfort stopped and I was able to sing with no discomfort, sing freely and I thought even better than when I am in full health. That's the power of God! In my weakness, He is made perfect and strong.

Devotion for the day was on sexual immorality and I mus say Christine (our devotion faci) is really creative when it comes to devotion. The previous day we had bidding; bid for the characteristics we want to see in a boyfriend/husband. We were given $100, there were 11 characteristics in total and we were told to bid wisely and how we have to use up all the money. It was a great object lesson and when we were given 3 small pieces of paper that has 3 different alphabets (T,F,D), I knew it's going to be another fun lesson. And so we were asked different questions and we were to show what we think by raising up our answers with either T (true), F (false) or D (depends).

The workshop that we attended after that was an extension of what we learnt in devotion and the speakers were by no means shy to talk about these issues on purity-in relationships, in speech, in thoughts, in action. I was by the honest sharings and the workshop (lasted for 3 hours) answered most of my questions and the things that I leant I will remember and will serve as a guideline for me.

N.O.W was fantastic too! Thank God that He enabled me to sing again. The joys and the tears were signs of how God moved during the worship. The night worship ended with christmas songs and oh how I wish I was down there shaking the hands of speedlighters and hugging sisters rather than singing on stage. Hahaha! Next was group's performance (singing the assigned christmas carol and dramatise it for extra points). It's amazing how in a short span of time, groups can come up with fantastic (by this I meant hilarious and entertaining) performances! Thumbs up to performances by Pink-qi ling (frosty the snowman), Curry pok (12 days of christmas), J-Co (hark the herold angels sing) that really caught my attention and of course WELL DONE to my group for outstanding drama skills! MUAHAHAHA!

The last night ended with smiles and laughers, we even had speedlight's version of Don't forget the lyrics! I was shy to go up and try because I was afraid I really forget the lyrics. Haha but my group did well (we knew the lyrics for the harder songs!). To me, it's not important to win but it's the fun we have as a group and friendships forged.

No comments: