I have always been hearing people saying this: "Mean what you sing!" and recently in choir there was a sharing about 'what it means to mean what you sing'. Yes it's important to mean what you sing or else it won't really be a worship unto God already isn't it? Without meaning what you sing, you're just singing it because you like the melody losing the essence of worship. Easy to say but to me one key way to really achieve that is to have an understanding of the reason behind the song. It is very important that we appreciate how the song is written.
I believe every songwriter (even you and me if you ever get inspired to write a song) has a message to tell with every song he/she composes. For example, “Heart of Worship” . Why do you think the song goes ‘When the music fades and all is stripped away, I simply come…’? The reason behind this is because the church then was too engrossed with the technicalities (music, singing, special effects, etc) that they forgot the main purpose of every p&w session which is to praise God, to worship Him for who He is.
Often, songs are written not only with a message to be shared but they are written based on the promises of God as well. Take Eagle’s Wings for example, why this line ‘come breathe in me, I will rise, on eagles wings’? Because the breath of God gives LIFE! God breathed into Adam and gave him life. With the breath of God that gives life, strength He gives us indeed we can rise on wings like eagles!
Having this understanding of how songs come about(meditation), I guess we can discover how to really MEAN what you sing.
Let my walk speak loud
And my words be true
Let my life be whole
With my eyes on you
Lord I'm stepping out
From the comfort zone
Letting go of me,
Holding onto You
Freedom comes
When I call You Lord
You are Lord my God
You are the centre of it all,
The universe declares in awe
Your majesty
I surrender all
I make you
The centre of my life
Lord, I respond with all I am
you placed in me the song
Of heavens melody
Your Majesty
I live to sing Your song
I have found Your peace
It replaces any fear
You have done it all
I can trust in you
So I'm stepping out
From the comfort zone
Letting go of me
Holding onto you
This is your song not mine
It is your song that brings healing to this land
This is your song not mine
It is your song that brings freedom
Freedom comes, when I call you Lord
Freedom comes, when I call you Lord
You are Lord, my GodYou are the song
You are the majesty
I live to sing your song
Your majesty
I live to sing Your song
I believe we can be blessed by this song. Being involved in church, we may have to step out of our comfort zone to do God’s works am I right to say that? Sometimes we may have to make certain sacrifices such as forgoing sleep, computer games, shopping, etc in order to fulfill what God wants us to do.
Matthew 9:37 "The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few"
Matthew 19:20-21 "All these I have kept," the young man said "What do I still lack?" Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go sell your possissions and give it to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."
We may just be like this man here. We think we have given everything we can, made every sacrifices there can be to make but seriously, there's so much more we can do if we want to and if God has called us to according to His purpose. The sacrifices that we make now is nothing compared to the sacrifice our Lord Jesus made 2000 years ago.
A pause here, are you willing?
Indeed when you set in your heart to give your all to God, this song will impact you more and more. What comes next after a conviction?
Are you willing to surrender all to make God the centre of your life?
Isaiah 40:8 'The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the Word of our God stands forever'
Everything on earth may fade away, things and people may fail you but our God is eternal and everlasting! Shouldn’t He worth a place in the centre of your life instead of------(you name it).
No comments:
Post a Comment