Sunday, September 02, 2007

At dinner with my sister...
Serena:*looking at the coke on the table*"Do you know that coke is actually the brand name of the drink and not the drink?"

Serene:"Is it?"

Serena:"Yeah like how panadol is actually the brand name of the medicine but the medicine is actually paraceptamol? Hmm..are there any more exanples? I can't think of anymore. Let's think of more k?"

Serene: "Ok."

*pause*

Serene:"I know! Like pampers!"

Serena:"PAMPERS?! OH ya! HAHA! Pampers is actually the brand name for diapers right! Sish I always thought they're called pampers!"

*pause*

Serena:"OH! I KNOW A GOOD ONE! MAGGIE MEE! You know we never say 'let's buy some instant noodles!' We always say maggie mee! Hey look and here we are saying we'll buy some maggie mee and we bought myojo."

Serene: *laughs*

Ah..what a weird conversation but don't you think it makes some sense? Of how advertising is so successful that we totally replace the product with the brand name. My sister told me that in America, the Americans don't say "Can I have some tissue please?" instead they say "Can I have some Kleenex please?" Kleenex is a brand! HAHA!

No comments: